• 1 (12 ounce) package of beef smoked sausage, sliced into circles, nitrate & MSG free
• 1 onion, diced
• 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
• ¼ paprika
• ½ teaspoon black pepper
• Pinch salt
• 2 cloves garlic, pressed through garlic press
• 2 medium-large carrots, peeled and diced
• 2 medium-large parsnips, peeled and diced
• 2 ribs celery, diced
• 6 baby yellow potatoes, cubed (skin on)
• ½ pound (8 ounces) diced butternut squash
• 6 cups chicken stock, organic
• 1 cup chopped kale
• 1 tablespoons chopped parsley
Place a large soup pot over medium-high heat, and drizzle in about 2 tablespoons of oil; one hot, add in the sliced sausage in a single layer, and allow it caramelize and brown on that first side (a few minutes), then stir and allow it to further caramelize for about another 2 minutes.
Add onion, and stir to combine; saute together with sausage for about 3-4 minutes, until lightly golden; add in the Italian seasoning, paprika, black pepper, and pinch of salt, plus the garlic, and stir to combine.
Add carrots, parsnips, celery, potatoes, and butternut squash, and stir to combine with the sausage and onion mixture; next, add the chicken stock, and bring to the boil.
Reduce the heat to medium-low, and allow the stew to simmer, uncovered, for 40 minutes (it can bubble, but don’t have it simmering too, too vigorously).
Turn off the heat, and check to see if any additional salt/pepper is needed; add in the kale and the chopped parsley, and stir to combine, allowing the kale to wilt into the soup for a few minutes before serving.