- 3 pounds beef short ribs or more if the ribs do not look meaty
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- good pinch of salt and pepper
- 2 cloves garlic minced or grated
- 1 tablespoon ginger grated or finely chopped
- 1 cup sweet thai chili sauce
- 1/2 cup tamari, soy sauce
- 1-2 tablespoons thai red curry pasted use 1 tablespoon for less heat
- 1 teaspoon fish sauce
- 1 leaves head of butter lettuce torn off
- 1/2 cup peanuts chopped
- 1 mango peeled and chopped
- 1 small jalapeno seeded + chopped
- 1/2 lime juiced
- 1/4 cup freshly chopped cilantro
- 4 green onions chopped
- a pinch of salt and pepper
THAI PEANUT SAUCE
- 1 ounce can coconut milk 14, lite or regular
- 3/4 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons tamari, or soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons thai red curry paste use 1 teaspoon for less heat
The night before or the morning of, heat a large heavy bottom skillet over medium high-heat and add the olive oil. Add the ribs to the skillet and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Sear the ribs on all sides for about 1 minute per side. Remove the ribs and place them in the crockpot bowl.
To the bowl add the garlic, ginger, sweet thai chili sauce, soy sauce, thai red curry paste and fish sauce. Cover and cook for about 8 hours on low (5-6 on high), or until meat is falling off the bone. If you can, rotate short ribs once or twice during cooking. The cooking times will vary depending on the size of your short ribs.
To make the mango salsa toss the mango, jalapeno, lime juice, cilantro, green onions, and a pinch of salt and pepper in small bowl. Taste and adjust seasonings to your likings. Place in the fridge until ready to serve.*
To make the peanut sauce add the coconut milk, peanut butter, brown sugar, soy sauce and thai red curry paste to a medium size pot. Place the pot over medium heat and bring to a low boil, stirring until the peanut butter melts into the coconut milk and the brown sugar has dissolved to make a smooth peanut sauce. Set aside.
When ready to eat remove the short ribs from the crockpot and shred with a fork. Divide the meat among the lettuce cups and spoon some of the sauce that is sitting in the crockpot over the meat. Top with mango salsa and then drizzle on the peanut sauce. Sprinkle the peanuts over top.